Monday, December 26, 2005

Remembrance

It's the day after Christmas and it's once again time for remembrance. I know that there were a lot of people that I wasn't able to greet. Some, I didn't know how to contact, some I've already forgotten. And so this post goes out to everyone I wasn't able to greet. They may not be able to read this, but I want to give out my greeting anyway, and wish them a very merry christmas. This is already my 21st Christmas, and in that span of 21 years, I have come to know a great many people. And I find it sad when I go through my mind trying to remember a name that I should know and come up empty. I never meant to forget. To forget people is like forgetting a part of yourself. These people, no matter how long or how short I've known them, have left their mark on me, one way or the other. And I wouldn't be the person that I am without them.

Another reason for remembrance is that last year, on this very day, a great many lives were lost. And for this christmas, it's the first one their surviving family members will spend without them. I want to remember this event, not for the sake of knowing that it happened, but for the people themselves, that they may not be forgotten, and in silent reverence for all the lost future each of them once held.

I promise I won't forget.

No comments: