Thursday, January 26, 2006

A thousand grains of sand.. or a rock

I feel like things are slipping by me. It's frightening when that sort of thing happens. It's like I don't have enough time to do everything that I need to do. Why is that? Do I try to do too much? I try to keep control whenever I can, but some things are out of my hands. Like now. I can't even tell what's wrong - I just feel that something is. You see, when things go wrong, there's no earth-shattering explosion, no heavenly sign, nor fireballs raining to the ground.. none of those that mark impending doom. Everything is as it were, except that something is amiss. What goes wrong are the small things. And they have a tendency to add up. They creep up on you and accumulate. And then in a mass of trouble, they collapse. And you start feeling that chaotic feeling, that everything is spiraling out of normality. That chaos theory really does exist, and you're gonna find out first-hand what it can do.

In the end, it's not the big things that I'm truly afraid of. Sure, they can prove to be troubling too. But the small things are the ones you don't expect. A feeling of mistrust here, a tiny gossip there, a minor let-down, a promise broken, a lack of time, a forgotten hello - these are small things that are often overlooked, or that lacking in significance. What's one little thing I didn't do? I'll do it some other time. And then it piles up..

It's the big things that we consciously remember; but it's the small things that we unconsciously take into ourselves.

No comments: