Saturday, July 30, 2005

Wasting Time

This past week has been.. hectic, and next week promises to be as heavy as well. But despite of this, I've still had time to do things I enjoy. Like thinking. Well, it's not that I enjoy that so much, it's just very familiar to me since I do it quite often before - deep thought that is. Most of the time, it's the daily things that make me think, but sometimes, it's the rare events or not-so-commonplace things that trigger brain activity.

One such instance is when my philo teacher mentioned that when we make friends or when we hang around other people, we waste time. He said that wasting time with others is how you make friends with them. (then someone remarked that "you're a waste of time." should then be considered a compliment. hehe) As for me, I'd have to agree, but there's one thing I'd like to clarify about it. I don't consider it a waste of time. It's like this: everyone has time, and limited time at that. We get it when we're born and it continues to diminish as we live through life. And there's no adding to it. Some get more time than others, but basically the moment you're born, you start using it. You can't save time. With this in mind, whatever we do, we "pay" for it using our time. So really, whatever we do, time gets used up. And for me, I don't consider it a waste when you use it up for friends. Perhaps that's just me and what I consider worthwhile. So I'd have to disagree with it being a "waste of time" since there are other activities far less deserving. Wait, let me rephrase that. There aren't a lot of activities more deserving. Hehe.

In the end, it all depends on our perspective (again). Do you consider making friends wasting time? Our priorities are based on how much we're willing to spend this valuable commodity. After all, there aren't any refunds available, no interest nor loans, and you can't acquire more for all the money in the world.

So take it as a compliment when someone tells you that you're a waste of time. Hehe. That just means someone was willing to "waste" time on you. Hahaha.

No comments: