Sunday, May 01, 2005

Impressions

I'm in a "thinking" mood once again. Oh well.

I've been thinking about how first impressions work, and just how significant they really are. A lot of people would tend to say that first impressions don't last, that they won't matter once you get to know the person. What they don't realize is that the same first impressions play a key role in the succeeding interactions. In effect, first impressions determine the context of the second impression and so on. It usually cascades. First impressions or initial meetings are also very unstable to predict. So many factors are involved, such as mood, environment, time, presence or absence of certain people, problems, and other stuff that preoccupies the mind. But such an unsure thing having such a large impact on whether two people will get along is what makes life itself so uncertain. It's what makes relationships, friendships, so fragile.

What induced me into thinking about this topic? A number of things really. But one of the main reasons is a movie I saw - "My Sassy Girl." Ok, so I just recently saw it. I've heard a lot of things about this movie, and after actually having seen it, it was an experience. Now I know why people like it so much. I liked it a lot too. There's just something about the movie that makes people think and care and see themselves.. or maybe it's only just me. Ok, so first impressions didn't really apply very much to the movie, but what I wrote about the circumstance of meeting is there. Some people are just lucky to be at the right place at the right time to meet the right person. Others struggle to reach that point their whole lives, or at least what they think that point is. And often, they envision the wrong thing and miss out on their true turning point. Now that I think about it, that movie made me think about a lot of things; so much more than what I'm writing now. And yet I can't seem to find the words to express them. All I can say is that it really is a great movie, and I liked it very much. And thinking about the events that unfolded is giving me goosebumps.

There is a certain "high" that one gets after seeing a movie that struck a chord with oneself. It's as if one gets reminded of a lost dream that suddenly had a chance of happening just because it happened in a movie. It gives hope, and inspires hope. And that kind of thing is addicting. That's why love is so addicting. Or at least the illusion of love that a movie can bring.

*sigh*

If only circumstances weren't so complicated. If only things had happened a bit differently. If only my life had been one of those movies.

But no.

No comments: