Tuesday, May 03, 2005

Reason for Tears

What makes you cry?

There are many things I encounter in life that merit such action. For me, it really isn't bad. There are just some very sad events, or stories, or days.. and you just can't help it. There are also happy moments, but they don't happen much, so you can't help but cry too. We are all affected differently by what happens. Some people are easier swayed to shed their tears than others. As for me, I don't really cry a lot. I've learned when I was a kid how not to cry in response to physical pain. And as I grew older, I learned how not to cry at emotional pain too. You could say that I got used to it. But that doesn't make me immune to feeling like I want to cry. It's just that when I try to, no tears would seem to flow. I even actually thought that I had forgotten how to. But I was reminded not so recently that I still hadn't forgotten how to shed my tears..

So what makes me feel like crying? It's not that easy to answer. I usually don't feel like crying at sad stuff. I just feel sad. What makes me want to cry is when.. when I see something that's so beautiful and ideal and I realize that it's an illusion, or when an event could almost be perfect had the people involved only realized what they should have done. It makes me want to cry when I see a person give something every last thing they have, while knowing that it would never amount to anything. I don't know. Sadness doesn't make me want to cry. It's the actions of people at those times that calls forth tears in my eyes. A showing of hope when everything seems lost. A little courage when fears are great. Holding on when everyone has let go. Human spirit? Maybe. I feel like crying when I see the nobility of the human spirit against the odds, and I also feel like crying when that noble spirit is crushed. Life. I feel like crying when faced with life, and all the challenges it brings. Not really tears of sadness, no. Tears aren't sad or happy. I believe they're there to amplify what one feels so that others may see how much it got to the core of the person - that there is a core that feels.

So what makes you cry?

No comments: