Sunday, August 07, 2005

Fears

Some emotions draw out some rather interesting responses or actions. One of those is fear. I don't understand what is it in fear that can bring the most steadfast person trembling to his knees, or chip away resolve down to uncertainty. Fear triggers hesitation, fear triggers inaction, fear triggers the flight response. For me it's one of the most powerful emotions there is - even strong enough to render the others ineffective. It can however multiply those same emotions too.

What do you fear?
Why are you afraid?

Is fear of loss really that great? It's this fear that drives us to falter; the greater the risk, the more we hesitate. Do I move forward? Or take what I have and walk away? I don't want to face that decision again. Not with so much on the line. They say that risk equals, even outweighs, the rewards. But risk triggers fear, and fear incapacitates. It renders useless the faculties of a sound logic.

Am I afraid?

I guess. About many things. Things I do not have control of. Things that I can only wait for to happen. Fear mixed with dread. A sense of inevitability. They say you only need to get burned once to have the fear of fire driven upon you. But how can you explain the people who try to stare down fear? Are they really unafraid? Or do they have something that far outweighs their fears? - a greater fear of not doing anything about it, or not being able to do anything.
A coward dies many times before his death; the courageous only tastes of death but once.

1 comment:

K Hara said...

have you ever attempted suicide?

For me, that is fear.