Sunday, August 21, 2005

Music

Music can be quite strange.

How can some music bring about a long forgotten memory? Or so easily sway a person's mood? How can it make you remember sights, smells and even tastes? It makes one reminisce, ponder, pause from whatever one's doing. Music is even said to soothe the savage beast.

There are some songs that when I hear, bring back some very fond memories. They make me feel different, make me remember sensations I had before. They make me sweat, make my skin tingle, speed my breathing, they transform me. There are songs that make me forget my fears, songs that make me uneasy. There are those that lift my spirits, and those that weigh it down. What is it in those songs that make them do that to me? It is true for everyone else?

Let's see.. from what I remember, I guess the songs that trigger those emotions, reactions, and feelings are the songs that I heard when something traumatic or eventful happens. That's my theory anyway. Maybe it's true. How else can you explain the effect of particular songs on my appetite, my sleeping habits, me boredom, my giddiness, my irritation, my elation, my sadness...

Music is such a mystery.

No comments: