Friday, April 01, 2005

Fool

It's the first day of April, and today is supposed to be April Fool's Day. Why is that? A fool is defined in the dictionary as a person having little or no common sense and wisdom. Well, everyone's been at that point at least once in his/her life, so I guess that makes us all fools. So this is my day then, and everyone else's. I've already lost count of how many times common sense has eluded me, or how many times my wisdom didn't seem so wise, or how a decision was based solely on "gut feeling" and didn't quite follow any particular logic. And I've forgotten how many times all of those resulted in disaster. And many times it wasn't only me that took the fall. How foolish.

April Fool's Day reminds me of the foolishness I've done. And maybe all the practical jokes delivered or executed today will only serve as a reminder to everyone that indeed we are a foolish race. Simpler animals rely on instinct to survive. There's no lack in common sense. And the fact that we have the capacity to decide whether or not to follow our instincts makes us vulnerable to making bad judgment calls - it makes us vulnerable to foolishness. So today is our day. Today we celebrate the follies of our species. Today we are reminded that we are all fools.

But just incase some would disagree, there's nothing I can do. All of what I've written today might just be a result of my lack of wisdom and common sense in assuming that there might be something that binds us all to each other - a commonality if I may. So if that's the case, I may have been a greater fool than I realized. Cum grano salis. Take it with a grain of salt. A fool must be right now and then by chance - a fool like me.

Happy April Fool's Day.

No comments: